The Myth of Loose Skin?  

Posted by health and insurance

Have you noticed how when people who are overweight lose a bunch of weight in a short time period, they seem to have flaps of loose skin leftover that seems to sag and stay on forever?

I’m not really overweight but I did have twins in 2001. I’m very petite (4′11″, started out probably around 100 lbs at the beginning of the pregnancy) so I got extreeeeeeemely stretched out by the end. Afterwards, even though I lost the 70 lbs I gained, I still had this huge fold of skin on my tummy that has never gone away in 6 years.

At least, I really thought it was mostly skin. Everybody said so.

Now that I’m cleaning up my diet and working out more, I’ve been wondering if this flap of “skin” would always be there. Almost everybody I talked to about it said yes, unless I had surgery (which is not an option for me).

How depressing.

And then, a few days ago I came across this article:

The Myth of Loose Skin

It made so much sense to me, and it gave me hope. The guy really sounds like he knows what he’s talking about. Basically, the gist of the article is that skin is thinner than paper. So all that “loose skin” is really not just skin but a layer of fat. And fat CAN be gotten rid of with proper diet and exercise! And the skin will adjust. So, read it and tell me what you guys think. It sure gave me hope for my “twin skin” problem!

Oh, and if anyone out there (Ryan? Anybody?) has tips on what specific exercises to do to work on the tummy fat, please give me suggestions. I’ve been doing lots of crunches and cardio and need more ideas.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at 7:09 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment